Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Voice


There is a little theme that seems to play in the background of my life. It's about finding our voice. Literally, figuratively, personally, etc. Here's a thought, maybe it's true, maybe not. Women had to shut up for a good while when the patriarchal society was established. I'm no expert on history mind you. Feminism, women's studies, well, like I say I'm no expert. Still, there's something about my own life, my own story that needs telling and I'm still looking for my voice. Somehow I'm connected to all women past and present and I want to sum it all up in a profound beautiful artistic way. I'm still struggling with the big picture.

"He's comin' in for the kill like I knew he would. I'm not gonna run even if I should. Little does he know I'm ready for the duel, I've gathered all my strength but I won't be cruel. He's callin' on a god that he's always known, makes ya kinda sad that he has not grown. I wanna' introduce him to a foreign lullaby, take him to a place where it's safe to cry...and bleed bleed heart bleed. Bleed bleed heart bleed. Follow me down to the bottom of the deep blue sea.

The ladies up above seem to need a voice. The patriarchal times left them with no choice. Fueling the aroma of a dead man's soul, hard to comprehend the color of control. I saddle up my mule and I hit the road, a few of us still lookin for the mother lode. Bring along a potion to reveal the way, an atlas of the world if you decide to stay...and bleed, bleed heart bleed. Bleed, bleed heart bleed. Follow me down to the bottom of the deep blue sea.

We were mermaids once upon a time. A deeper shade of blue aquatic dancers. Can't go back to what we left behind. Do the stars above contain all the answers?

They found him on the beach washed ashore they said. A garland made of pearls wrapped around his head. Standing in the distance you could see here there. A melancholy smile and a vacant stare...oh bleed, bleed heart bleed. Bleed, bleed heart bleed. Follow me down to the bottom of the deep blue sea." Words and music by Susan Brown

This painting is a tribute to Maria Callas...though it certainly doesn't capture her true beauty...

0 comments: